Senior Systems Engineer for Cloud Management and Automation needed for a permanent role in Texas.
The individual hired for this position will have shared responsibility for the design, implementation and optimization of monitoring solutions and infrastructure automation within the Office of Information Technology (OIT), with a primary responsibility for design and integration of technologies to automate and orchestrate the self-provisioning model for infrastructure services.
This further includes process development, system implementation and configuration of solutions to support the infrastructure teams in the lifecycle model for infrastructure services consumed by OIT and other departments; service catalog development and integration, server, network and storage automated provisioning, application and platform stack deployment, chargeback/showback, measured utilization and capacity management.
As a member of the Core Infrastructure Team, this engineer would be involved in IT infrastructure projects that will optimize current services as well as deploy and integrate new technologies, including solutions to support virtualization and future platform-as-a-service offerings. The Systems Engineer will contribute to the overall success of the Core Enterprise Team by providing recommendations and key insight into the technological path of OIT.
- Bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems or Computer Science or equivalent technical work experience.
- At least 3 years of applied experience in Windows server operating systems in an enterprise environment; VMware ESX/vSphere administration a plus.
- At least 2 years of applied experience with Linux based x86 platforms running RedHat and/or Ubuntu.
- At least 2 years of applied experience developing software scripts and implementing solutions for automation and orchestration of provisioning and resource allocation with server, networking, and storage environments.
- Applied experience with vCloud director, vCloud automation solution sets and scripting programs leveraging VB, Perl is preferred.
- Expertise with Cloud Management Platform products (e.g. VMware, vCloud Automation, Cisco Cloupia, CloudStack), RedHat Linux, Windows Server OS, and server administration along with knowledge of automation and scripting tools in a complex technical environment.
Major Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Function as a technical expert on cloud infrastructure projects pertaining to the automation, orchestration and provisioning of infrastructure-as-a-service and platform-as-a-service solutions supporting Windows and Linux based servers, software defined networking, NAS/SAN based storage systems.
- This includes the development of the service request model through a service catalog, measured utilization, chargeback, and showback methodologies, capacity management, service level management and reporting solutions.
- Further includes process development, communication plans, and technology solutions to meet business requirements.
- Perform infrastructure service implementations, performance analysis and optimization, monitoring, problem resolution, upgrade planning and execution, and process creation and documentation.
- Participate in cloud based services planning, design, and implementation; particularly in monitoring and management of systems that may live outside the organization, including third-party cloud service providers.
- Recommend, plan and optimize existing infrastructure services as needed.
- Ensure service availability and reliability of all cloud infrastructure services.
- Ensure development and test environment exists for system configuration and operational management environment.
- Provide level II and level III technical support for OIT related to Microsoft Windows Server OS, RedHat Linux OS, SAN/NAS, virtualization platforms, system monitoring and systems management processes and technology solutions.